+Post New Topic + Post Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is hair rebonding or straightening safe for hair?

hey friends....i want 2 do a rebonding for my hair...but i m little scared for hairfall...straightning really siuts me....bt nw i m confuse....wht 2 do?go 4 it or nt?little hairfall is ok...bt is it cause lot of hairfalll???plz help ...

Priya... welcome to sukh-dukh. Hope your problem will be sorted out soon.
    I have edited your message due to spelling mistakes; hope you don't mind.

n ya my hair is little curly so i want streight hair....

@ Priya - If your hair is not-so-strong, I would not recommend you to go for rebonding. Soft hair are more prone to damage. And in this process, your hair will be exposed to heat and chemicals. Moreover, if you have hair fall problem, then never try rebonding or straightening; it will make your hair absolutely life-less.
    “There is nothing so pathetic as a bore who claims attention - and gets it”

hi damsel, i also posted similar question some time back

i hv consulted good parlour (lore'ol) as well, they say, that rebonding will itself give strength to ur fair and will help n prevent damange n fall as they use few good and branded serums on ur hair which gives added strength to ur hair and they also say that their is difference b/w simple straightening and rebounding......... i dont know how far it is true?

@ Magic - That is the problem dear.

Unless and until an experienced person share her reviews, we will beat around the bush. Anyways, thanks for your reply. Even I would like to know more about hair rebounding.

I think, problems like hair fall and damage also depend on your hair type. Hair which are already damaged would be more sensitive towards any change.
    “There is nothing so pathetic as a bore who claims attention - and gets it”

i know - u r right Damsel.

I also hv curly n wavy hair and i go for temp. straightening on imp. occasions as my hubby really likes it and it actually suits me and gives me a fresh and new look......

my hubby was after my life to go for rebounding but i also hv similar fear becoz normally also, i face good amt of hair fall......... dont knw what to do :-S :-S

Hi Magic and Damsel,

Some facts and tips on Hair Rebonding along with side effects.

Every woman desires beautiful hair and rebonding can give life to that desire. Rebonding is a hair treatment that can change the way you look and feel. Before you fix an appointment for rebonding with your stylist, find out as much as you can, about it. Being prepared for the process can help you get yourself the best service and care for your hair.

What is Rebonding?

Rebonding is a chemical hair treatment that makes your hair straight, sleek and shiny. It is a permanent and expensive procedure. Prices for the treatment may vary across salons due to products used, service, your hair type and post treatment care.

Each type of hair has a natural bond.Curly or wavy, are the result of natural bonds that give the hair its physical quality. The cream softener or relaxant used in the rebonding treatment breaks the hair structure. Then a neutraliser bonds the structure again and makes hair straight. In simpler terms the rebonding treatment changes your natural hair structure and restructures it.

Once your hair is straightened you have to touch up the new growth every three months, six months or a year, depending upon your growth.

The Process of Rebonding

The time taken to complete a rebonding treatment depends upon the length, type and thickness of your hair. Hair till mid back can take about 8 hours or more to be rebonded. A man’s hair might need three hours. Here’s the step by step approach to rebonding.

1. Hair is washed with a mild shampoo. No conditioner is applied. Hair is dried completely with a blow dryer keeping it on the medium level.

2. Hair is separated into parts. The cream softener or relaxant is applied to every hair shaft, keeping it straight. A thin plastic board is used to keep hair straight.

3. Cream softener or relaxant is kept on hair for at least half an hour or depending upon the hair type. Keeping it for too long may even harm hair. After that hair is steamed for 10 to 40 minutes, depending upon hair type and condition, and then rinsed.

4. Hair is blow dried and then keratin lotion is applied.

5. A flat iron is used to straighten hair further and break any remaining curls. The iron should not exceed 180 degrees. A ceramic iron is better than other metal irons. The salon expert will iron your hair until it is satisfactorily straight and shiny.

6. Hair is again parted and a neutraliser is applied to set the bonds and stabilise the hair.

7. The neutraliser is kept for at least 30 minutes.

8. The neutraliser is rinsed off with cold water. Hair is blow dried and hair serum is applied. A last touch of ironing is given with the straightening iron. Hair appears silky straight and shiny.

A salon professional will restrict you from washing your hair for minimum three days. It allows the treatment to set. You will be asked not to clip your hair, tie a rubber band or wear any other accessories in your hair for minimum three days. Wearing a shower cap while having a bath is also advisable, to prevent hair from becoming wet.

Is rebonding harmful for hair?

Any chemical process affects hair texture and quality. Excessive use of chemicals makes hair dry, weak and can even lead to hairfall. Hair rebonding requires post treatment care otherwise it may turn harmful. If you are suffering from hairfall, you must avoid rebonding or any other chemical hair treatment. Cheap chemicals, inexperienced hair stylists and weak hair can make rebonding a bad experience.

Hair rebonding can turn into a disaster if you do not take care of your hair. Hair will need extra pampering once it has been rebonded. You cannot ignore your hair just because it looks straight and shiny. Rebonding done from a reputed and trustworthy salon lasts longer and hair quality does not suffer. Discuss your hair condition and the treatment before your scheduled appointment.

How to take care of rebonded hair

Taking care of rebonded hair is very important to maintain a healthy mane. Only a well-looked after crown of hair can stay beautiful, always. Here’s what you have to do, to treat your rebonded hair with care and prevent hair loss.

Use a shampoo for straight hair
    Use a conditioner every time you wash your hair
    Apply a hair serum after towel drying hair.
    Oil your hair regularly
    Use natural hair masks once a week before washing your hair. You can use aloe vera gel, curd or olive oil with an egg.
    Oil and steam your hair every fifteen days. You can wrap a towel dipped in warm water, around your hair. This will deep condition your hair.
    Consume a balanced diet. Include nuts and sprouts in your diet.
    Hair that is taken care of will be frizz free and smooth to touch. Rebonded hair is susceptible to dryness. Therefore ensuring that your hair remains hydrated and full of life is very important.

Fixing Rebonding disaster

If you have already relaxed, rebonded or straightened your hair and your hair has turned into a disaster, you can try and fix it. Get help with these simple tips.

Get a hair cut done
    Approach the salon you got rebonding done from. Ask them to repair the damage
    Oil your hair regularly
    Use hair serums or leave-in conditioners
    Get deep conditioning done every fortnight
    Avoid any other chemical treatment for next six months
    Tie a bun
    Learn some styling techniques from your stylist to make the best of your hair
    Wear a scarf
    Your hair is a vital part of your personality. Be very careful before you expose your hair to any chemical treatment. Remember, that natural is the best. If your hair is difficult to manage you can try rebonding but with all due care.

I better move out before Saurabh spots me here!!!!!

Cheers, Sanjay

magic_stick wrote:

> i know - u r right Damsel.

I also hv curly n wavy hair and i go for temp. straightening on imp. occasions as my hubby really likes it and it actually suits me and gives me a fresh and new look......

my hubby was after my life to go for rebounding but i also hv similar fear becoz normally also, i face good amt of hair fall......... dont knw what to do :-S :-S

Thanks a lot Sanjay but still confusion exists.......... shud i go for it or not..... as its mentioned that it depends on quality of hair...... and i m nt so sure abt mine.

@ Sanjay > i know that u will sure come here.....

Hi Magic Dear,

How is the quality of your hair ? are the strands thick or thin ? Do you have frequent hairfall ? Look around your dressing table, in the bath or in your car . You will find the answer.

If you dont have hairfall, and your hair is thick, then you can go for it, otherwise, pl dont experiment, anyway your lovely hubby likes you for how you look now. ( Cute )

Sanjay

magic_stick wrote:

> Thanks a lot Sanjay but still confusion exists.......... shud i go for it or not..... as its mentioned that it depends on quality of hair...... and i m nt so sure abt mine.

@ Sanjay-->> nice yaar.....

thanks sanjay...... :-P

i do find good amt to hairfall while taking headwash - but otherwise its normal. Otherwise my hair hv good volume and bounce with loadss of waves and long curls....... if someone wants natural perfect long curly hair, it is the right choice for then but my case if diff. i want straight hair....... i know typical girl attitude..... ;-)

Hi Magic Stick,

Do you want to look like the one in the pic. check this link.

[url]http://www.humanhairpieces.com/images/CURLY-OR-STRAIGHT.jpg[/url]

To answer your question in brief, hairfall will be more after straightening. Ironing itself will cause more harm and the hair might loose its lustre and sheen. You might sport a new and trendy look, but its not good in the long run dear.

Sanjay

magic_stick wrote:

> thanks sanjay...... :-P

i do find good amt to hairfall while taking headwash - but otherwise its normal. Otherwise my hair hv good volume and bounce with loadss of waves and long curls....... if someone wants natural perfect long curly hair, it is the right choice for then but my case if diff. i want straight hair....... i know typical girl attitude..... ;-)

oh my God........ it seems that some one has tkn my caricature.... unbelievable 8-) ......... the only diff. is in cheeks part...... as i m nt than skinny......like model...... i hv good cheeks like golgappa, hv u seen the actress tina munim in her young age...... i hv similar cheeks.
    and the pic with curly hair - i hv absolutely similar hair....... and when i get it temp. straight, i similarly looks like the other one. :-D

Hi Tina,

I only drew that caricature based on your description :)

Sanju

magic_stick wrote:

> oh my God........ it seems that some one has tkn my caricature.... unbelievable 8-) ......... the only diff. is in cheeks part...... as i m nt than skinny......like model...... i hv good cheeks like golgappa, hv u seen the actress tina munim in her young age...... i hv similar cheeks.
    and the pic with curly hair - i hv absolutely similar hair....... and when i get it temp. straight, i similarly looks like the other one. :-D

hey Sanju - my name is not Tina!!

hehehe................

@ Sanju bhaiya................kya bola aapne?(what u said to magic)

Hi Magic,

I know dear, since you compared your cheeks to Tina's , thought I would address you as Tina, as anyways you say you look similar to her ! :) I shall not address you like that if you r unhappy about it.

Sanjay

magic_stick wrote:

> hey Sanju - my name is not Tina!!

Maine, Kuch nahin bola tha, sirf magic ko, Tina jaise address kiya tha, patha nahin, ye galath hi or teek !

Kaise mera Hindi ???

Sanjay

saurabhwebxprt wrote:

> hehehe................

@ Sanju bhaiya................kya bola aapne?(what u said to magic)

:-( array jado...tumhara opposite case wth me...my hair r very straight..i have done perming..aur wohi howa jo sanjay bhai nay write kia...chemicals say khaarab ho gayay..bari mushkil say cutting karwa karwa kar theek howay..ab phir streaks ka shauq howa hai..

rebounding sunna hai keh hair ko kafi healthy n volume daytay hain...phir bhi chemicals ka masla tu ho ga

+ Post New Topic + Post Reply

Recent Posts in Beauty & Fashion
   Most Popular Posts at Sukh Dukh

AddThis Feed Button RSS Feed