+Post New Topic + Post Reply

Thread: new born -lack of breast milk

hello,
    iam a mother of 8 days old boy and much worried about him coz he doesnt get enough milk when i lactate him. His birth was natural and there was no secretion of milk after the delivery and after 2 days using a breast pump i was able to get only 20ml of breast milk .one of the doctors advised to give lactogen 1 for him as a substitute for breastmilk.can anyone suggest any ways to increase breast milk as i want to breast feed him. also i want to know whether giving lactogen 1 is good for my new born.... completely worried about him..kindly help!

hi sps,
    If ur doctor have suggested u lactogen1, then u can feed him. U keep on feeding through the breast also. Even if u don't have enough milk. Don't take out the milk using breast pump and feed thourgh the bottle.U can try heating ur whole chest (below ur neck) with a hot towel and then feed. keep feeding ur baby alternatively with formulated milk and breast milk.

Not every woman generates sufficient milk for breast-feeding. Don't let that bother you. Do your best, and follow the doctor's advice to supplement your baby's nourishment.

Hi,

Congratulations on your baby...

Your baby should be free to breastfeed whenever and for as long as she chooses. More suckling means more breast milk. Demand feeding alleviates breast engorgement and breast infection.
    It is important that the baby not only get foremilk (rich in carbohydrates, vitamins and proteins, that also helps quench the baby's thirst), but also get hind milk (rich in fat and calories). Therefore, you should allow the baby to keep suckling from one side until he leaves the breast on his own, so that he gets enough hind milk.

See the more your baby sucks on your breast the more milk is going to get produced.. If your baby is not feeding much from you then slowly the breast milk will stop... So even if no milk is coming out what you can do is feed the baby a little formula and then hold him to your breast.. Once he starts sucking it will increase and the more he tries the better..At least two feeds of breast milk is better than nothing..

It is very important the baby be breast fed as it boosts the immunity and also the most safe method.. Bottles involve sterilizing and still are not completely germ free...

The baby does not need anything other than breast milk for the first 4-6 months of life. Breast milk provides adequate nutrition and immunity for the baby.A baby who has only breast milk (no additional water), and urinates a minimum of 6 times in 24 hours is getting enough breast milk.

You can try taking a spoon of GALACT powder (available in pharmacies) with a glass of milk twice a day... It helps... but basically make the baby suck more and let her feed on one breast at a time..For the next feed go to the other one....

Keep trying .. and remember breast fed babies don't gain weight as fast as formula fed ones... so don't give in to the temptation....

If none of this works don't be disappointed... It happens to a lot of women ...

Don't worry too much and take rest..

Cheers

hi everyone,
    thanks to all of u for ur support. iam following all of ur suggestions and trying to cope up with my baby.

hi Rada,
    as per ur suggestion i breastfed my baby and he is keeping on sucking and falls asleep..if i put him on bed he wakes up and once again demands milk .... he always feels hungry... i give lactogen only at night,rest of the time i am feeding him. but there is a lot of improvement now. i dont know how to check whether his stomach is full or is he getting enough milk.

That is quite normal ,, once they get hooked onto breast milk they won't let go and sometimes want to keep feeding thro the night..

Its more out of habit than hunger so don't worry..Remember to burp each time and never lie down and feed as it may lead to asphyxia...See that lot of air is not sucked in the process as it will lead to accumulation of gas in his tummy.. All this might confuse you now but after a while you will know how to do it exactly..

Check how many times he passes urine each day...You must have atleast 8-10 wet diapers a day and don't let the diapers be soaking wet... If you are not using diapers and use cloth nappies I would say min of 15 cloth nappies a day... indicates good feeding pattern...

Good to hear your baby has latched on...Continue till he's at least an year old..

Cheers..

Smile Home remedy for Mother's Milk production.

Boil a cup of Rice in 4 cups of water for few minutes until bubbles come up. Take out 2 cups of water from it, add a cup of butter milk to it. Drink this once a day. This will increase breast milk for the baby. My wife is doing it for my baby.

hi

first n most important thing is DO NOT give LACTOGEN or any artificial milk formula to the baby ...

if ur milk not sufficient then give him cow's milk .... boil nicely n cool it to normal temp. n same time only give by spoon [ DONT use bottle ] ....

whenevr baby crying give him milk ....

AND A MOTHER KNOWS BEST IF HER BABY IS HUNGRY OR NOT ....

u DO NOT use any medication to increase ur milk ....

TAKE CARE ... let me know if u wanna know anything else

+ Post New Topic + Post Reply

Recent Posts in Infants & Baby Care
   Most Popular Posts at Sukh Dukh

AddThis Feed Button RSS Feed