+Post New Topic + Post Reply

Thread: How to create children's interest in studies

My son is 14 years old and is in the 8th standard. He is not interested in his studies at all and wants to play all the time.

Also he is very slow in writing. Maybe he is not concentrating in the class. Always he is the last person to finish in the class.

I am motivating him and speak to him often about this.But he just doesn't seem to understand. How should I make him more interested in studies?

I don't think the child or for that matter anybody can do anything by being forced. Since you have already tried explaining to him, I think it is time to ask him what he wants to do in the future. Tell him that it is time that he starts earning his own pocket money. I know that sounds silly but working for a few months will make him realize how hard the life is. Tell him that if he does not study well, you have to make sure that he can earn for himself and so he has to earn his pocketmoney and take up a hobby class that interests him that can be getting coached for a particular sport or soemthing like that. It may further ruin his grades for this year but four months of hard work will make your son realize that studies are much much easier to do than trying to earn without proper qualification.

Youre right mam bout what counts an what doesnt.
    Its an equation that works fantastically here in this world.
    Many times people have explained it to me Sometimes kindly sometimes cruelly as it suited them.
    An many times I have done things that have hurt people sometimes knowingly sometimes unknowingly as it suited me

But one thing-I am truthful about it, People are not.

As thing are mam,I can only speak for myself For me 3 things count kindness truthfulness and talent- Nothing else.

And in the end in the very end mam I am not honest to God not a cruel person.

My son is 14 years old and is in the 8th standard. He is not interested in his studies at all and wants to play all the time.

Also he is very slow in writing. Maybe he is not concentrating in the class. Always he is the last person to finish in the class.

I am motivating him and speak to him often about this.But he just doesn't seem to understand. How should I make him more interested in studies?
    Also, i took him to the child psychologist. she gave the concerta tablet,but i do not want to give this medication. please, helpme. thank you.

hi kathir
    can u plz... tell me which pharma co. manufacturers concerta tablets

Dear mam,you have to think on some fact one by one.you should start searching his good quality from bad quality.i mean to say that ask him what he dont like and by what he hate.then what ever remain after DONT LIKE & HATE is good and workable quality of your child.Another checking--is he so from class first or from which class ?in which subject,he feel problem ? what is most boring for him?dont say us that he is poor in all subject.check his friend circle in school and home.what programme he like in television?
    Actually choice option has born in your child and now he will not accept any advice,if it not match with his choice.His friend circle will help you to reveal his interest also.

pl check these than reply me

I think you should take him to the IC MASS classes where children are made to study by using different tips and methods. There teachers try to make the psychological conditions of the children to improve.

dear "sheriff" and "kathir" ,both of you are facing with the same problem !
    try out some yoga classes for you and your child so that the child doesn't feel like being forced into the class, rather make it a way of bonding with your child.
    yoga and healthy time with your child will surely some good results, if not necessarily in studies, but may be other creative shades to be explored about your child.

all the best!!

Try to understand his problem. Grown-ups at times cannot relate to youngsters coz many of the children don't know how to handle, master their emotions. If he likes to play, or is interested in anything, advice him/her to pursue it seriously. Many children have a lot of energy which needs to be expelled in a profitable manner. Something that disciplines him like sports but also channelises his energy. When discipline enables him to have control over his emotions, direction will come. Build confidence by doing things he likes and is good at. Maybe just carroms but it can build confidence.Please don't put pressure on the child to perform but reason that y it is benefitial to contribute to society in later life. The better he performs now, the better opportunities he gains later.

Regards,
    Friendly_rays

I think I am the third in the line with similar problems. The problems are compounded because our son is resorting to lying too. We have tried all actions from the harshest to the most loving but he is showing no change. While he is extremely intelligent, he does not want to write and our education system rightly does not accept verbal responses alone. He has not shown any extraordinary interest in any extracurricular activity either which we would happily coach him on. Our worry is that he is at that stage of life where we cannot even let him do what he wants. Kindly suggest some way in which we can get out of this mess. In the meanwhile will try out some of the advices given in the trail

My son is 11 years old and he read 6th standard in JD Tytler School. He is not interested in his studies at all and wants to play all the time and non stoped wathcing TV.

He is unable to understand teachers language and way of teaching.

Plz. help me

I understand the trouble faced by all of you. Even I had the same problem with my child. I had tried talking to him, discussing his future plans, even scolding him at times. But none of these paid off. Later I realised that if I need to teach a child, I got to think like a child. If my child is interested in playing, I should try to make education more fun. So I started taking him to museums, science exhibitions, etc. Also we started to play scrabble and many mini mathematics games. I also enrolled him for a Space Camp trip at [url]http://spacecampindia.com/[/url]. Here he not only learnt basic physics and maths related to astronomy, but he also got to perform hands-on astronaut training. Through such activities I tried to get his interest back in studies and I was successful. In fact after the space camp he has developed a keen interest in maths and science. Today he is doing pretty well in school, and has also become mature enough to understand the importance of education.

till standard 10 you must scold him.
    coz this is the time when he knows nothing abt his future.
    train him by love or scolding, but do it soon otherwise child's future can be in danger

Sometimes most of teenagers find it difficult to concentrate in studies as their will be lot of hormonal changes in their body. If this is the case with your son then better take him to a good doctor to find the solution. At home also make him realize the importance of education and if he has some problem in the school or anywhere ask in good words. Additionally give healthy food for him as this age requires more stamina.

Well, you should not worry much. This is the age when boys or teenagers do develop big fascination. Either to play games more or sometimes even other extracurricular activities. You should promote that, and make him be like that. This promotes sportsmanship. He will know what the result of victory and losing means is. However, if he is not at all interested in his studies and wants to play all the time, that’s something bad. As you have a son, and not daughter, get one study partner for him. It can be either your son’s best buddy or someone near your home. Boys of this age group like this. They will not say anything bad against this.
    • Take him out more
    • Take him to museums, sports stadiums, shops, cash transaction centres, et al
    • Even science rooms, laboratories, libraries, …
    • This will greatly revive his interest in studies
    • Always remember not to overburden your son
    • If done so, he’ll despise schooling itself…very soon

Thumbs up

Oh yeah! Children are said to be free and as parents we have no rights to ruin their happiness, by restricting them, childhood should be enjoyed to the core, I read in an article which goes like this. The children should be left free till they reach 5 years, and it’s even wrong to put them in schools and play schools. Never force them to do study anything which comes out of force won’t work, better leave them as per their choice, they will do the things perfect only with their own interest. So have some patience they will come your way very soon.

Many parents encounter such problem from their children in often or partial case that becomes a pain to the teacher especially. You have to understand the interest of your children that can alight his mind. Usually a children mind is filled with lot of thoughts that becomes an impediment for them to move forward. Your child does not lack in anything but that he is bogged down. There are certain things that motivates the child which you need to keep in account and can use the similar technique to drive him to studies. Suppose he loves comics then tell him that he will get it to read once after the completion of the school work and add extra price for his effort. So that he is not tempered by this deal. Give him something to read and watch that it inspires him positively towards study. Divert his mind from useless topics and avoid any kind of distraction when he is studying.

Ah I think this a common problem which is faced by the children as well as parents. Few months ago even I had the same problem with my child, he never used to study his portions moreover he stopped having his food on a proper time too. I kept shouting at him all day but it was of no use. As parents we may have the right to hit them and bring them to your track, but we have no rights to force them to study. Children hate when they are forced to do something which they don’t like, like wise till 5 years they are said to be free I mean they are free birds without the pressure of going to schools, doing their homework’s etc. If you leave them free they will slowly understand and follow what you say. Try this it may work.

I am really enjoying reading your well written articles. It looks like you spend a lot of effort and time on your blog. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Thanks for sharing. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the Appreciation!!
    Keep praising, that gives positive impression for people who are taking part in this forum to seek/offer advices…

Well,
    I would like to add some more interesting tips to motivate children for gaining interest in studies…

*Gradually encourage children reading books in young age itself, this habit could remain for lifetime.
    *Acquire books for yourself and allow your children know you do it.
    *Regularly discuss with your child about the books you read.
    *Set up a place in the child's room for his or her books, that ambiance should sense a feeling of ownership &glee.
    *Let the materials you purchase for your kid is toy designed.
    *Take him for a library during leisure time.
    *Don’t ever pressure up! Be cool, and make him understand that without education, there is no bright future.
    * Instead comparing child with same age group, show some national icons portfolios for encouragement.

+ Post New Topic + Post Reply

Recent Posts in Parenting Teenager
   Most Popular Posts at Sukh Dukh

AddThis Feed Button RSS Feed