+Post New Topic + Post Reply

Thread: Is gripe water beneficial for children?

Traditionally, we have been giving gripe water to infants to help them digest the milk but my pediatrician strictly instructs it to be a no-no for a baby. Should I give it to my 3-month-old baby or not?

In order to relieve the pain of the child, many Indian mothers prefer to give their babies gripe water. The medical benefits of gripe water are not known. The only difference it make is, it may help the mother feel better that she has tried and it may also help in distracting the baby as gripe water has a nice sweet taste

Well, gripe water somehow makes my 3-month old daughter fall asleep within five to ten minutes when I become dead tired of trying to calm and soothe her for hours!!! I don't know about its medicinal properties but it does seem to help.

GRIPE water is actually banned in UAE. But you can get it from the back shelves of some pharmacies. The issue was that it has small traces of alcohol – which ‘calms’ the baby. I know all of us had gripe water and were fine but anyway this is the problem we heard.
    We have used HOMOEPATHIC granules called COLIKIND which is great for colic. Crush it and then given to baby. I am not aware of allopathic equivalent. Should be avlb in any homeo clinic – but easily avlb in India.
    Trust this helps.

My daughter lives in USA. She is going to have her first baby. I was planning to send a few bottles of Gripe water to her with a relative travelling to USA but decided against it as Gripe water is banned in USA. What do Indian mothers use as an alternate to gripe Water in USA. Suggestions will be appreciated.

actually gripe water is a relief by psychological tratment. it is sweet and out of routine. infants are habitual of drinking milk and bitter medicine, gripe water give them an unique taste and some digestive support. there is nothing beneficial or harmful in it. now a days gripe waters are without alchohal.

keep using gripe water

Hi,
    Gripe water's alternative can be to boil Ajwain Seeds and Saunf in 1 glass of water and bring the quantity down to half a glass. Refrigerate it and give 1 spoon alongwith the water that is given to the child everyday to keep gas problem at bay.

hi, could anyone please suggest a diet chart for my 13 months old child. She is not taking any solids in her diet and often pukes out if forced.

gripe water is not banned in the US. There are different varieties, so you just have to make sure to purchase the alcohol and sugar free versions. I am using it for my 1.5 month daughter since she was about 4 weeks old and it has helped her alot... it has settled her tummy and she no longer has gas.... as a result both she and i are happy!! Otherwise she would be crying alot....

First of all the previous posts stating that gripe water is illegal in the USA, that is not correct. My family and I have been purchasing it for decades here in the US and I have purchased it myself just a few weeks ago. My son who is currently 3 months old has been taking it since he came home from the hospital. However his pediatrican has said that there are several types of gripe water. There is a company that manufacturers it in the UK by the name of Woodwards, this is the gripe water that was recommended by my son's pediatrician. The Indian gripe water is sold in all of the Indian stores in the US therefore it is not too difficult to purchase it. However, the pediatrician did mention that the Indian gripe water that is manufacturered in India may have traces of either cocaine or opium in it. Therefore you should stay away from it. She also said that other Ayurvedic, or herbal medications from India are also not recommended due to the same reason. Recently I was in a US pharmacy and came across a "Little Tummy's" brand of gripe water. It has all of the major ingridents as the one that is manufacturerd in the UK and it also lists all of the ingridents and dosages on the bottle. Making it a lot easier then before. Their web site if anyone is interested is [url]www.littletummys.com[/url] it goes over all of the ingridents, dosage amounts and other pertinent information that one might want as a parent. I hope that this is helpful.

Gripe water is banned by most of the pediatricians..Not sure for what as its been used for ages..

Gripe water eases the colic discomfort for infants.. But doctors prescribe other medicines for colic...

You can give a spoon of gripe water for your baby daily ..Its harmless as its made of saunf...

I have noticed that whenever there is a coating on the baby's tongue ,which hints at indigestion gripe water helps. You can use woodwards or even himlaya has come up with a new gripe water..

Cheers

This is for mother 2 baby..

For your 13 month old baby if he/she doesn't like solid food you could try taking some cooked rice, dal, boiled carrots and grind it in a mixer and it will become into a smooth paste..

To this add some salt and ghee and try ... The rice and dal should be cooked till they are very soft..

If you give rice as such its easier to puke but at least some of it will go in this way..

Give a lot of milk/ juice to your baby ..

Also you could try stuff like bite sized roti's, bread/butter..Cheese slices ...

Dhokla is also good for kids..

Boiled veggies and fruits are another option..

Most of the toddlers as they have to switch over to solid food make fuss and take time to get used to it and they understand if they try to puke then we won't give them or force them with food...

Cheers

Thanks for giving all your suggestions . . .

When by son was a baby I used to give him grape water has it helped him in digestion but today as you said most of the doctors say not to give grape water without their prescription as high dosage will have side effects on baby’s health. So consult your pediatrician and if he says no then better stop it.

Thumbs up Is gripe water beneficial for children

I give my son gripe water and even I was given fresh gripe water for stomach pain. The babies cannot express their pain, but one thing that they can do is cry and grabs the attention as soon as the mother sees the child suffering from stomach pain she gives gripe water to the baby, yes gripe water really benefits both the baby and mother. But this should not be given very often once in a while is good. Therefore this has no side effects.

Whatever you hear from others aren’t always correct. There are something's you must know. If they say gripe water isn't beneficial for children, ask them how? What gripe water purely does is that it alleviate your kids intestinal colic problem. Sometimes, even to avoid teething pain of babies, this is used. However, you have to give only correct dosage:
    • for 1 - 6 months old babies: give 1 Gripe water dosage 3 times/day
    • b/w 7 months to 2 yr old: 2 teaspoons 3 times per day
    • 3 years or more older: 3 teaspoons 3 times/day

It is true that gripe water is used for medicinal purposes traditionally. For infants this liquid works great. But it is recommended to consult with a pediatric before providing the dose of it to an infant. Especially the doses of gripe water help calms stomach pain and other discomfort in a baby. Even at times of hiccups and gas it helps soothes the problem if given to an infant.

gripe water

yes it is good for children of 3-8 month

Dabur Gripe water is best for babies. It contains ingredients like Sarjikakshara and Mishreya tail, which are very useful in guarding your baby against common stomach problems like afara, aittan, indigestion and acidity. Its regular use ensures that teething causes no problems for your baby.

+ Post New Topic + Post Reply

Recent Posts in Infants & Baby Care
   Most Popular Posts at Sukh Dukh

AddThis Feed Button RSS Feed