Thread: Anti Dowry Laws of India- abuse
 Dear Friends,
I am a new member of the forum and want to bring up a discussion on abuse of anti-dowry laws.
As you know, India now has two gender specific (i.e only women can file them) laws which are used to a large extent to abuse innocent families. These are 498a (Anti-Dowry Law) and DV (Domestic Violence) act.
Anti-Dowry Law (498a): According to this if any person (Need not be husband) harasses a girl for dowry they must be punished. This is a non-bailable, non-cognizable and non-compoundable law which means on a MERE verbal complaint of the girl:
a) The guy and all his family members are put in jail and given bail after severe police torture (Police is highly corrupt in india).
b) The guy and his family is guilty and they have to prove they are innocent. This is the only law on this planet where you are guilty intill proven innocent (Usually all laws specify you are innocent till proven guilty).
Please not that what I am talking about is only the abuse which is 98% as per the Crime Bureau of India Report.
 Why do Indian women Increasingly abuse these laws:
1) To get money from husband. Extortion rackets doing large scale business based on these laws as a full time profession (In a way you will not find the scam by the time its too late). Many corrupt lawyers and police strongly incite and assist the girl in doing this extortion and typically get 20% of cut. That is usually girl files a false complaint at the behest of individuals interested in money (Typically their own mothers or fathers in addition to others involved in getting a share of the spoils) and puts the guy and his entire family in jail and blackmails for money. If she succeds in say getting 20 laks, police get 4 lakhs and judge gets 4 lakhs.
2) To go with ex boy friends, hidden diseases etc come to be known after marriage. Then they want to get out of marriage with money and file these false cases to black-mail.
3) Not able to adjust to the new family. Wanting to compel husband and his family to become submissive to her demands. Seperate husband from his family and use his money for her and her families personal uses.
This abuse is so common in India that 98% of the cases filed in India based on these laws have been proven to be false in a court of law. Supreme Court of India has termed the abuse of these laws as "Legal Terrorism". Still this is not being abolished.
I will post the repurcussions of these laws and possible ways of addressing in the next reply.
 30 Oct 2007 11:50 am #4
Effects of these abusive Laws on Indian Women:
1) Due to immaturity and ill-advice from vested interests many young indian women abuse these anti-dowry laws. It is very easy to file and does not cost even a rupee. They can verbally say they are harassed for dowry, then corrupt police jail up the entire families and public prosecutor build up a false case and ask for a settlement of they they get a cut and remainder goes to girl. However, in the long run women are losers. For every case there is a sister and mother who is jailed and wife whose long term life is destroyed (So, 3 women for one man's life is destroyed by these laws).
2) Most of these laws are made by NCW (Women Commission of India) and some other feminist NGO's who are made up of divorced women who are sadistic and want to convert more women into divorcees so they can join their ranks and organization. This is sadistic. As the saying goes "Women is women's worst enemy". This can be seen in implementation by these women organizations, destroying the loves so many young youth of India.
3) Cannon fodder for SNEHALAYAS run by women commission. If you type SNEHALAYAS in google you will come across cases of women who were made victims of prostitution by Women Commission for Renuka Choudary's parties and politicians for their personal benefits.
My next reply will address some very reasonable things the law could provide.
 Changes to Anti-Dowry Law
1) Make all laws Gender Neutral. Men and Women must be treated equal. For this the law must first treat them as equal. And what is wrong in making the laws gender neutral- Aggrieved party can always get justice.
2) Before putting innocent in Jail- Investigation must be MANDATORY. Even murderers are not put in jail before investigation, how can innocents be put in jail before any kind of investigation. Also small children, pregnant women and people above 70 years old should not be put in jail (About half the cases involve children of just couple years old, 8 month pregnant women being putting in jail to exert pressure to succumb to extortion blackmail by police).
3) If the case has been proven false, guilty must be punished. Most families on whom these false cases are put on are get acquitted, but it takes about 10 years on average and a lot of financial, mental and emotional torture. These victims must be compensated for their suffering. Argument that innocent get acquitted so no need to change laws is absolutely wrong. 10 years of lost time along with humiliation of being jailed for no fault is not nothing. This is severe torture and must be compendated if proven to be based on false complaint.
4) Make a Ministry for MEN. Even animals have a ministry, why not men? Are men not human beings in India?
 Why is this happening- Lack of Awareness and Concern in Indian Society
1) Most people do now know what is anti-dowry law. Feminists have brain washed media and people so much that this gross injustice against men in india is not even known. Most people believe that anti-dowry law is applicable only if yu take dowry. THIS IS FALSE. 498a can be applied even if you never took any dowry. Also, it does not cost anything, its free to book this case. Just say husband harassed and the rest is taken care by crooked police and judges who get 20% share of the husband and his family's spoils.
2) These days most people have been using these laws even before marriage because anti dowry law can be applied before marriage alse. In soceity these people have been filing these cases. In reality in most of the cases dowry is not even asked. The girl becomes instant here and the husband and his family is immediately jailed and has to shell out money. This is atrocious. Society needs to be more careful about such laws.
3) This is only half the story. Look at DV act- This is even more atrocious. Supreme court has said this is the most clumsily drafted law ever, but still NCW has got this passed.
Indian society you are needed to think if these laws are good for the society or detrimental.
I donít think that Indian women are such harsh; they will never miss to give heed unto the words of their husbandís. This Anti dowry law is very good and applicable also. But there are few women who take this law as an advantage; this should not be the situation............But my personal opinion is only the person who harass the women on financial issues should be punished