+Post New Topic + Post Reply

Thread: FUTURE AFTER STUDY IN GERMANY

Hi, everybody,I am Mouli from India, i want to take up Masters in Germany. I have completed Mechanical Engineering. with 69.75% aggregate and have 2 years of work experience in same field.
    To complete Masters and take up good job, which country is better like US, UK, AUSTRALIA, EUROPE?
    I want to have few clarifications to study in Germany,
    What do the university expect
    Any scholarship available for the complete study
    What will the future after completing Masters degree, can i stay there to get the professional job and work, will it be possible to get job at least for 5-10 years to settle
    OR can i take up research further to stay and earn
    Is Masters recognized in other European countries or US so that any job opportunities will be there after completing masters
    Please help me in this regard
    Thanks,
    Regards,
    Mouli.

Hello Mouli,

To compare the situation for Indian mechanical engineers in the US, UK and Australia, on the one hand, and in Europe, on the other, is a bit like comparing apples and pears. In other words: The conditions are quite incomparable. Mainly two reasons account for that:

(1) The US, UK and Australia are English-speaking countries, which makes studying, living and working considerably easier for English-speaking Indians. Wherever you go in Continental Europe, you will have to put up with another foreign language. Even though there are now a lot of graduate programmes taught in English and knowledge of the language is widespread, especially among younger people, life becomes very tough without at least basic German, French, Italian etc. If you walk into a shop in Germany, for example, and you don't happen to be in a tourist centre, you have to expect that the people in the shop will neither understand you nor be able to answer you in English. The same can happen in many government offices, including the administration of most universities. Finding a part-time job without good knowledge of the respective vernacular is close to impossible. Among all countries of continental Europe, English is used and understood most widely in the Netherlands and the Scandinavian countries. The situation is poorest in Southern and Eastern Europe.

(2) As incomparable as the language situation, is the make-up of the educational systems. Both the US, the UK and Australia have a number of world-class universities, where you get an excellent education that is worth your money. If you are admitted to any of these institutions, you should consider yourself lucky and go for it! However, apart from these academically-minded universities and colleges, you find a growing number of commercially-oriented institutions of higher education. Many of them tend to take in whoever is willing to pay their tuition fees. Canvassing students for these "degree mills" has become big business in India and many educational consultants are hunting after the attractive commissions paid by these institutions. If you are interested in a high-quality research-oriented training, you should keep your hands of this sector of the educational market. Now, returning to the situation in Continental Europe, commercial higher education is insignificant in most countries. The quality of education is rather even across institutions, tuition fees are generally low (with a few exceptions) and admission is competitive for many programmes. You will hardly find a master's degrees from any European university that is not internationally accredited. Engineering degrees from Germany, in particular, enjoy an excellent standing throughout the world (US & Canada, Gulf countries etc.).

When we talk about stay-back options, it is very difficult to make general statements. Apart from immigration rules, a lot depends on your specialization and the local labour market. Taking the example of Germany: If today you start your graduate engineering studies in this country, your situation looks very promising. You are legally entitled to stay back and work after you get your degree, assuming that you find a suitable job. There are many vacancies for engineers and their number is expected to grow in future. However, in order to obtain one of these jobs, you need good marks and - in most cases - communicative skills in German.

Concerning scholarships: Germany offers very few stipends at the master's level, unless you go into one of the multinational European programmes. Other countries, like Switzerland and the Netherlands, have full scholarship packages, but in order to have a realistic chance for getting one, the GPA in your bachelor's should be above 80 percent. Sometimes it is possible to compensate for lower marks with excellent GRE scores and/or high-quality professional experience.

A last word on money: If you have no chance to obtain a scholarship anywhere, you will usually get a good education for less money in Continental Europe than in any of the English-speaking countries. In Germany one year of studies (living expenses and tuition fees) seldom costs more than Rs. 4 lakhs, in Switzerland and the Nordic countries you can do with Rs. 5 or 6 lakhs. In the UK, US and Australia things will rarely work out below Rs. 10 lakhs a year.

Chris
    German Study Centre Cochin (DSZ)
    [email]dsz.cochin@yahoo.de[/email]
    [url]www.studienzentrum.de.be[/url]

Hi Chris,
    Thanks for the very informative facts.I have few doubts regarding MS in germany:
    1) we have two kinds of colleges a) Universites b) university of applied sciences.
    How these two differs in terms of education,Job prospectus and recognition of the MS awarded by these two???

2) i am planning for MS in germany fo this year.How is the job opportunities with MS in electrical power engg , and System and control engg ??.

Last but not least, how are the job opportunities in Netherlands and Sweden after doing MS there??

worldwide universities colleges list

Dear Check this site http://www.orionicon.com worldwide universities colleges list and also check visa requirement and embassies address
    jobs abroad internships admissions news visa information

Two of my cousins who are engineering are settled in US so; I have some knowledge about it. If you want to pursue a masters in US then you first need to write GRE and then based on your marks you are allowed to choose the university. If you canít pay the costly fees of these universities then you can opt for the bank loans. These days staying in US after graduation has become difficult so it would be better for you go for some research related study and along with this you can also find a job.

The very best, as according to me, is to be in India itself. Indian economy is fast developing. You can either do masters and even do research work here. As you did Mechanical Engineering degree, work for some time in any MNC companies. You can do masters from Germany or any other COSTLY Western Country, but try to settle down here first. As Indiaís foreign relations with many of the above mentioned nations arenít that sweet, troubles may come. Work for some more time. Earn money and then only, if necessary, opt for doing masters or research work overseas. Most automobile majors are targeting or launching their vehicles in India. Many are even starting their opening sales in India

It depends upon your determination how to take direction after study in Germany. You should seek for visa extension with a valid purpose of yours. Normally there are many students from India who goes abroad for higher studies and end up with good jobs. At such case one need to provide the documents of a job offer to the passport authority of India for the extension of visa. After the completion of the visa work one can resume to stay or else if cannot produce valid reasons for staying abroad will have to come back home.

Hi I would like to ask about the work permit situation in europe. Is it easier for foreign students to get a work permit in europe

Hi Vaibh,

I am not aware of the work permit in Europe but made an effort to gather some information on your requirement. Hope it is constructive for you.

As an employer you will have to get work permit on your behalf and this will not cost you anything. European law specifies that the employer must file for a work permit on behalf of the non-European employee the company wants to hire.

So the answer would be for foreign students it is very easy.

study abroad

[QUOTE=mouli;14435]Hi, everybody,I am Mouli from India, i want to take up Masters in Germany. I have completed Mechanical Engineering. with 69.75% aggregate and have 2 years of work experience in same field.
    To complete Masters and take up good job, which country is better like US, UK, AUSTRALIA, EUROPE?
    I want to have few clarifications to study in Germany,
    What do the university expect
    Any scholarship available for the complete study
    What will the future after completing Masters degree, can i stay there to get the professional job and work, will it be possible to get job at least for 5-10 years to settle
    OR can i take up research further to stay and earn
    Is Masters recognized in other European countries or US so that any job opportunities will be there after completing masters
    Please help me in this regard
    Thanks,
    Regards,
    Mouli.[/QUOTE]

Hi Mouli ,
    I am doing MS in US last year.And i have same problem last year.
    my friend give suggest some classes name.if you want more information check url : http://dilipoakacademy.com/

+ Post New Topic + Post Reply

Recent Posts in Study Abroad
   Most Popular Posts at Sukh Dukh

AddThis Feed Button RSS Feed