+Post New Topic + Post Reply

Thread: Meaning of Lata Mangeshkar song!!!!!!!

Can anybody explain the meaning of lyrics of hindi song from movie bazaar-"dikhai diye yun ke bekhud kiya hamein aap..."?
    song is from the hindi movie bazaar and sung by lata mangeshkar.

'Dikhayi diye yun ke bekhud kiya, Hamein aap se bhi juda kar chale' means 'Whenever I see you, I am so lost and unaware that I become distant even from you.'
    'Jabheen sajda karte hi karte gayi, Haq-e-bandagi ham adaa kar chale' means 'When I start bowing to you I could not stop and bowed again and again, I fulfilled the duty of the faithful.'
    'Parasthishkiya tak ke aye but tujhe, Nazar mein sabhon ki khuda kar chale' means 'I came thinking of you as an angel, but when I left everyone believed you to be the God.'
    'Bahut aarzoo thi gali ki teri, So yaas-e-lahoo mein naha kar chale' means 'I was so desirable to see your street once, that I had ceremonial bath of my lifeblood before I left my house to reach you.'

hey..
    First of all thanks for your explanation of the song lyrics. Can u plz also explain the meaning of the other lines.. the complete song is:

Dikhayi Diye Yoon Ke Bekhudh Kiya
    Humein Aapse Bhi Judaa Kar Chale

Jabhi Sajda Karte Hi Sarse Gayi
    Haq-E-Bandigi Hum Ada Kar Chale

Parastish Kiya Tak Ke Aye But Tujhe
    Nazar Mein Saboki Khuda Kar Gaye

Bahut Arzoo Thi Gali Ki Tere
    So Ya Se Lahoo Mein Naha Kar Chale

Fakirana Ae Sada Kar Chale
    Miya Khush Raho Hum Dua Kar Chale

Jo Tujh Bin Na Jeene Ka Kehte Hum
    So Us Ahad Ko Ab Wafa Kar Chale

Koi Na Umeed Na Karte Nigahen
    So Tum Humse Munh Bhi Chhupa Kar Chale

Thanks in advance.

It’s important to know the context of this song to understand its meaning. In the movie, the girl loves the guy but girls family is forcing the girl to marry someone else solely because of he is rich. The guy requested by girl’s family unwillingly asks the girl to do what her family says as he doesn't have anything to secure her future. In the song the girl expresses her feelings and displeasure on the occasion of her being shown to the ladies who has come to see her on behalf of the proposed groom in presence of her family and the guy she loves. In the song the girl expresses her displeasure and pain (at the guy). It’s not a romantic song as explained in the earlier post.

Dikhayi Diye Yoon Ke Bekhudh Kiya - they have (family/guy) shown me like disowning me
    Humein Aapse Bhi Judaa Kar Chale - separating me from yourself as well (the guy)

Jabhi Sajda Karte Hi Karte Gayi - When she endlessly observed (the lady who came to see the girl)
    Haq-E-Bandigi Hum Ada Kar Chale - I paid the right of bondage (she had promised to her love)

Parastish Kiya Tak Ke Aye But Tujhe - even worshiped you a idol/effigy (referring to the guy)
    Nazar Mein Saboki Khuda Kar Gaye - making god in everyone’s eyes (her sacrifice in eyes of family and friends earning her and guy the praise)

Bahut Arzoo Thi Gali Ki Tere - Many wished for your street (getting married and setting with the guy she loves)
    So Ya Se Lahoo Mein Naha Kar Chale - So I leave from here bathed in blood (referring to tears or she commits suicide in end - not sure, need to check)

wwwhew that was a hard one - the song does not give much clue to whom it is complaining to but the movie makes the context clear (I saw it long time ago so don’t remember the details). The movie is also brilliant despite being tragic – it’s worth watching.

Nice discussion.

The poem is by famous urdu poet Mir Taqi Mir (Some says the poet is Mir Dard) and therefore if we see the poem in the sufi perspective , as originally ghazals and shayari were addressed to the god/almighty, things become more clear. So try to understand the poem by disassociating from the movie.

here bekhud means "ecstasy" or "delirious"

Jabhi Sajda Karte Hi karte Gayi
    Haq-E-Bandgi Hum Adaa Kar Chale

When bowed in prayed , remained bowed and exercised right of prayer

#3 I agree with the interpretation of this sher

Bahut Arzoo Thi Gali Ki Teri
    So Yaas-e-Lahoo Mein Naha Kar Chale

Longed for your companionship, but was utterly disappointed/dejected

Yaas mean dejection/disappointment. Yaas-e-lahoo is used to show intensity of dejection/disappointment.

Feels Awesome to know the meaning of such great sounding song!!

Any pointers to Mir Taqi Mir's work with english/hindi meaning?

Many thanks in advance!!

Thanks for the translation

Thanks for all your views.
    I have goosebumps now that I hear knowing the lyrics so well.
    I kinda had the idea, but this is too intense.

The above translations only partially catch the meaning of this song.

A song written by a Sufi poet or any poet who sees God as the object of love is a Painting.

A beautiful painting that inspires all, has deep meanings, and never grows tired of it.

So it should NEVER be considered to be a Tragic song, a song written in love is alway Romantic, Beautiful.

So there atleast 2 levels of these songs, one is literal (to attract people) and second is spiritual (to share the love)

The deeper translation is:

---This is the meaning of love. The only reality here is the object of love, God. Nothing else exists, not even your own self. One's existence ceases to exist and only the existence of the beloved is there.

Here the author is saying that he is so immersed in love that his own existene has ended. She/He is drowning in love. This is how Radha feels about Krishna.

---The love is so intense that it completely submerges the lover, such that this is how Krishna feels about Radha. That is how he becomes the slave of the servant.

Jabhi Sajda Karte Hi Sarse Gayi

--- He/She is so overwhelmed in the Glory of love, that he keeps bowing and bowing and bowing again and again - A million times I bow to you my Lord

Haq-E-Bandigi Hum Ada Kar Chale

--- This is very amusing. Here, although the author is drowning in love, even though he feels completely overwhelmed, he exerts his right (haq) to remain the servant/lover. He says now that you have given me this love, now it is my right, and even you can take it away from me. Ada kar chale - i have exerted my right and it is there always. It also reflects the free will of the author. God cannot take away free will, that is our right, and here I use my free will to remain a servant (bandigi)

Parastish Kiya Tak Ke Aye But Tujhe

---how could i ever see you as an idol

Nazar Mein Saboki Khuda Kar Gaye

- here Saboki, meaning dawn, meaning new life, that my life has now begin as i see you as God and ofcourse the love. I have opened my eyes and come into existence and seen you as the Lord/Love

Bahut Arzoo Thi Gali Ki Tere

--- i committed sever penances to reach you. Sufi keep singing and walking - gali ki teri, means always i have always been searching for you

So Ya Se Lahoo Mein Naha Kar Chale

--- now there are no more desires (arzoo's) nothing left. all my desires are over, only you exist neither me, nor my desires exist (he reaffirms the feeling that he no longer exists seperately). the existence of any person is defined by the existence of his/her desires. once the desires cease, the existence ceases, only love remains

Some might see this as tragic, but its actually the truth of love, there is no selfishness, everything is sacrificed for love, even the desires are sacrificed (lahoo) and only the Beloved exists

From the movie perspective too, she says look even now i do your bidding, can you ever doubt my love for you?

The song is beautiful and romantic - i love hearing it over and over and over......

I had enjoyed this song for all these years and now after understanding the explanation of the wording, I am falling in love with this song. Thank you for translation.

really great poem and nice to get deep, detailed meaning..
    cheers guys

@bbd

i dont agree with urview because the song in the movie is twisted form of mir's gazal hence here is my meaning of last three stanza's of mir's gazal
    it means:- mein ae murti teri itni pooja ki.... ki sab logon ki nazar mein tujhe khuda bana diya (islam mein mein murti ki pooja nahi kar sakte dharam ke khilaaf hai aur yahan lekhak murti ko khuda ka darza de raha hai)
    poori umar meri gazal ki chinta karne mein guzargayi isiliye is fan(kaushal, skill) ko bahda ke chale matlab gazal ko aurprasidh karke ke jaa rahe hein
    ab kya kahein jab humse koi pooche ki humne iss jahan mein aake kya kiya hai
    basically last line mein question hein aur upar ki line mein answers hein aur satirical style mein kavi ne iska jawab diya hai

Hello guys,
    I am a big fan of Lata Mangeshkar.I like his all song.My mother also like her all song.
    I have many song of Lata Mangeshkar.In my opinion no one can sing better than Lata Mangeshkar.
    I want to listen "Ae mere vatan ke logon,Jra aankh me bhar lo pani" but i have no this song.
    Please tell me where i can get this song from ?

yes I agree with u, No one can sing better than Lata Mangeshkar.

Cool song meaning

'Dikhayi diye yun ke bekhud kiya, Hamein aap se bhi juda kar chale' is indeed a beautiful song which is my favorite the very first line is translated as follows, I am lost and I feel that I am far from you the times when I meet you. 'Jabheen sajda karte hi karte gayi, Haq-e-bandagi ham adaa kar chale' this goes like this I am a faithful devotee of you and I adore you by bowing my head and being humble to you. 'Parasthishkiya tak ke aye but tujhe, Nazar mein sabhon ki khuda kar chale' means at first I considered you as a protecting angel but later I came to know that you were my GOD. 'Bahut aarzoo thi gali ki teri, So yaas-e-lahoo mein naha kar chale' this actually means this is very touching which goes like this 'before I die I want to visit your street, and I am longing for it too.

This is one of the popular song of 1980’s which as a very depth and painful meaningful of woman’s life. The chorus of the song that you are talking about is as follows.
    Dikhayi Diye Yun Ke Bekhud Kiya -2
    hamein Aap Se Bhi Juda Kar Chale
    dikhayi Diye Yun Ke Bekhud Kiya
    dikhayi Diye Yun

You know something. If it Sachin in cricket and AB as actor that we respect or keeps high, nothing wrong in that. However, it is singing playback lady idol Lata Mangeshkar whom we keeps as our mother. Meaning of this song goes like this:

i saw u such that i got restless, u separated me from myself
    forehead kept on bowing in prayers, i m done with the duty
    i kept worshipin you "but think its statue made u the god in everyones eyes
    i was very much expecting the roads to ur home, bathed in the in despair"

How serene is her voice and even when she is 82, she is still like demi-god for us, Indians

Well folk it is an emotional sad song from “Bazaar” movie of 80’s. Quite romantic but has a sad tone to 'Dikhayi diye yun ke bekhud kiya, Hamein aap se bhi juda kar chale' of Lata Mangeshkar. The lyrics of it means ‘I feel lost whenever I see you and have been distant from you.' Later the lyrics follows with a note that am bowed to your love and have become a devotee. You are more than a protecting angel I could see you as and can term you as God.

+ Post New Topic + Post Reply

Recent Posts in Music
   Most Popular Posts at Sukh Dukh

AddThis Feed Button RSS Feed