+Post New Topic + Post Reply

Thread: Wanna start a fun project

Wanna start a fun project

Hi.
    My name is Rajesh. I work for a software MNC. For some time now, i have been interested in doing a small solar energy project. I have an experimental design in mind that i want to build and test.
    I must disclose that i have no prior experience in doing this. Also, this is not a commercial project. Please don't construe this to be some kind of a job advertisement. I am an amateur. I am just doing this for three reasons:
    1. I think it will be fun
    2. I want to do something creative and out of the box.
    3. It would be a fantastic learning experience even if I fail.
    I am looking for enthusiastic people from all age groups and backgrounds. If you are a fun loving person interested in eco-friendly initiatives, please join me in this project. I need all the manpower (correction : person power ) and expertise (technical and otherwise) i can get. My email ID is rajeshbhatsmailbox@gmail.com .

Wow! May your wishes come true
    I am interested in doing all such innovative works and I would like to be part of this global warming projects!!!
    May I know the project name Mr. Rajesh Bhat??

Hi,

Thanks for showing interest. Ever heard of the "Solar Updraft Tower".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_updraft_tower
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuOXgTC0SRc

The concept is simple. I want to build a miniaturized version of it (small enough to fit on someones rooftop or backyard). But I want to do a lot of improvisations in order to lower the cost and improve maintainability. I might post the details here after some time. If the number of interested people gets big enough, we could form a group and start building the first prototype.
    Keep posting and inquiring more about the project.

The Basic Idea

Looks like my last post was deleted. I had given a link to a forum where i had posted the basic idea for my project. So i am posting the whole idea here. Hope it is not deleted again.

I want to build something like a solar updraft tower (links provided in previous post) on a much smaller scale, say, just big enough to provide electricity to a small household, maybe 300-500 Watts. I want to improvise the design since i think that the maintenance of a glass canopy would be too much hassle. Glass is expensive and breaks easily.

So I have some ideas. Suppose we lay down some metal sheets very close to the ground(maybe half an inch above the ground). We paint the top surface of this metal canopy black, so it absorbs sunlight and gets really hot(I think 60 degree Celsius is easily attainable in tropical regions like southern India). We spread these black painted metal sheets over an area of a few square meters(maybe 100). At the center of this canopy we make a hole and place a 10 feet tall chimney and inside the chimney we place a turbine. So I am hoping that heat absorbed by the metal sheets will be transferred to the thin layer of air underneath the sheets. The hot air will rise through the chimney and rotate the turbine.

I welcome advice/criticism/suggestions/curiosity.
    Last edited by Rajesh Bhat; 12-11-2012 at 10:13 AM. Reason: wrong spelling

+ Post New Topic + Post Reply

Recent Posts in Bangalore
   Most Popular Posts at Sukh Dukh

AddThis Feed Button RSS Feed