+Post New Topic + Post Reply

Thread: What Is Pongal & Makara Sankranthi?

What Is Pongal & Makara Sankranthi?

Hello everyone,

Recently, I got a chance to view the Maharashtrian Calendar. I was eagerly viewing all the public holidays. This is the first time; I came across a festival called ‘Makar Sankranti’ which falls on the same date on which Pongal falls, i.e., on January 14.

I would like to know, whether Pongal and Makara Sankranti is one and the same or different festivals??? Please give the clear portrayal of those festivals.

Hi Anita,

Pongal or Makar Sankranti is one and the same. This auspicious festival of Hindus is observed in different regions, under different names with different rituals in different parts of India. This is renowned with immense dedication, zeal, and gaiety.

The festival of Makar Sankranti traditionally coincides with the beginning of the Sun's northward journey (the Uttarayan) when it enters the sign of Makar (the Capricorn). It falls on the 14th of January every year according to the Solar Calendar. Lakhs of people take a dip on this day in the holy and sacred rivers like Ganga Sagar & Prayag and pray to Lord Sun.

Pongal is celebrated as

Pongal – Tamil Nadu

Bhogali Bihu - North Eastern State of Assam and West Bengal

Lohri – Punjab

Khichri – UP

Sukarat in MP

Sakat - Haryana and Punjab

Uttarayan - Rajasthan and Gujarat

Makar Sankranti – Maharashtra, Andhra and Karnataka

Happy Pongal in advance!!!
    Last edited by srisuma; 01-03-2013 at 04:42 PM.

+ Post New Topic + Post Reply

Recent Posts in About Homeland
   Most Popular Posts at Sukh Dukh

AddThis Feed Button RSS Feed