+Post New Topic + Post Reply

Thread: Disadvantages of donating cord blood

Disadvantages of donating cord blood

Hey guys,

I want to know if there are any disadvantages of donating cord blood, if you guys know about any of the disadvantages please share it with me I would like to know more about it.

Hi,

I was just surfing through Google to know about the disadvantages donating the cord blood, and I found some good information which I would like to share it with you. Since many are coming forward to know about core blood and its disadvantages I hope this information will be very useful to everyone.

1. The volume of cord blood collection is relatively small. Hence, the quantity of stem cells for transplantation is less than that in peripheral blood or bone marrow. This problem is greater for adults and adolescents, as they need comparatively more quantity of stem cells for transplant.

2. The donor cord blood stem cells come from newborn baby that is unavailable for extra cord blood donation. Therefore, if the first cord blood unit fails, the second unit will have to be obtained from a different donor.

3. Cord blood transplantation exposes the patient to one of the rare genetic disorders of the immune system or blood. This disorder is not detectable while testing the cord blood sample, as it remains invisible in the child for many years. However, the chance of getting this disorder is less than 1 in 10,000.

+ Post New Topic + Post Reply

Recent Posts in Infants & Baby Care
   Most Popular Posts at Sukh Dukh

AddThis Feed Button RSS Feed