+Post New Topic + Post Reply

Thread: Can You Use a Dial-Up Modem for Broadband

Can You Use a Dial-Up Modem for Broadband

Hello friends,

I have a dial-up modem service connection at home. I’m planning to use this to access broadband to enhance the download speed. Is it possible to do so? Many of my friends are saying that, it is unfeasible.

Can someone tell me, whether I can use the dial-up modem for broadband or not??? Also, give the exact differences between those two services.

Eagerly waiting for your replies!!!
    Last edited by ravivasudeva; 01-11-2013 at 03:53 PM.

Hi Vasu,

A dialup modem service helps you to connect to the Internet through a phone line with a maximum speed of 56kbps whereas, broadband connection has capacity to transmit large amount of data at high speed. Presently a connection having download speeds of 256kbps or more is classified as broadband.

It is impossible to use your existing modem that you use for dial up internet to connect to broadband.

If you have standard broadband ADSL then a special broadband modem/router is required.
    If you have cable then a cable modem will be required
    If you have wireless broadband then a wireless modem/router will be required.

The difference between a standard dial up modem and a broadband modem is that unlike a dialup modem a broadband modem is able to modulate and demodulate hundreds of channels at the same time though it which makes it so much quicker, unlike a standard dialup modem that isn't capable of these hundreds of transmissions.

Hope, you’re clear now!!!

+ Post New Topic + Post Reply

Recent Posts in Gadgets & Gizmos
   Most Popular Posts at Sukh Dukh

AddThis Feed Button RSS Feed