+Post New Topic + Post Reply

Thread: Why is Ramanavami festival celebrated?

Why is Ramanavami festival celebrated?

Hello friends,

While listing out all the Hindu Festivals from the calendar, I came to know that, Rama Navami falls on 20th April, 2013. I would like to know, is this festival to commemorate Lord Rama’s rule??? Please tell me, the importance of celebrating this event???

Thanks!!!

Yes Lakshmi,

This is to honor the Rama’s rule!!!

The birth date of Lord Rama is celebrated as Rama Navami. Sri-Ramnavami is dedicated to the memory of Lord Rama. It occurs on the ninth day (navami). The festival commemorates the birth of Rama who is remembered for his prosperous and righteous reign. Ramrajya (the reign of Rama) has become synonymous with a period of peace and prosperity. Mahatma Gandhi also used this term to describe how according to him, India should be after independence.

Ramnavami occurs in the month of March. Celebrations begin with a prayer to the Sun early in the morning. At midday, when Lord Rama is supposed to have been born, a special prayer is performed. In northern India especially, an event that draws popular participation is the Ramnavami procession.

The festival is a focal point for moral reflection and being especially charitable to others. Celebrations at places associated with Sri Rama, like Ayodhya in Uttar Pradesh and Ramesvaram in Tamil Nadu, attract thousands of devotees.

Well Said!
    Ramanavami festival is celebrated to tribute Lord Rama rule and this day is as well considered as Lord Rama’s Birthday.

Most of the Hindu followers perform Kalyanotsavam for Rama & Sita and by end of the day they take the murtis for procession.

The very most favorite prasadam offered on this particular day is “Panagam” a sweet drink prepared out of jaggery, “Masala Butter milk” & “Kosambari”.

+ Post New Topic + Post Reply

Recent Posts in About Homeland
   Most Popular Posts at Sukh Dukh

AddThis Feed Button RSS Feed