+Post New Topic + Post Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: One-child policy in India

Hi to all the members of sukh-dukh

Being a part of nation's youth, how do you all feel as regards growing population of India. Dont you think that people have crossed their limits with their stupid resason "Does country's population increasing only with my children?" After having two sons, some people take chance to have a daughter (however its minimal), and for having boys, it's not new to know that hundreds of girls are killed everyday in India.

I think most of our country's problems are due to its extensive population. I have seen educated people, who probably know the condition of the country and its ever growing problems, having 2 to 3 kids. I mean, does having more children make them feel proud or what? In the present times, there are lakhs of couples who dont know what is family planning and how to go about it?

On Nov 9, approx 10,000 marriages held in Delhi. Now you can estimate how many marriages have taken place throughout the country... Next year, approximately 50% of them will have a child. 5,000 in Delhi, Right? And this record can be calculated by everyone for a single day. Throughout the year, millions of marriages take place all over the country. And people without thinking about the country, take this as their own case and keep on having children.

Is this fair on the part of aware citizens? Dont you think that people should understand this cause, or our Govt has become too lethargic to take any action at required point of time?

Should India have one-child policy ? or perhaps has it become essential to have this policy in India?

Hi Ritu,

You have raised a very relevant topic on this forum. I agree that something should be done about our burgeoning population but it should be voluntary and not coercive. By this I mean that one child policy should not be compulsory instead people should be encouraged and given incentives to have lesser children.

This can be done in a number of ways. First of all educate people. Education gives people the wisdom to decide what is good or bad for them. But only education is not enough. We have seen number of cases where educated people go on having more than 2 children in their desire to have son or indulging in female foeticide. So we should come done harsh on female foeticide. There should be stricter laws and very harsh punishment for those indulging in this heinous act.

Secondly, we should give incentives to people to produce less children. For example government should levy extra tax on people having more than 2 children. Such people should not be eligible for government jobs or for standing in elections. For those people who are already in government jobs and have produced more that 2 children should not be given promotions. These are some of the ideas on which we can think further.

Lastly, I don't feel that one child policy is desirable and feasible. Firstly, as we have seen in the case of China it would have a number of negative consequences. It will lead to more cases of female infanticide and would aggravate the already skewed sex ratio. Secondly, I think that one child policy is not desirable for society also. As such children are more likely to have stunted personality as they would have no siblings to share their thoughts or things with them. I think 2 children per couple are fine. And this would maintain a fine balance between stabilisation of population and problems associated with over-population. If a couple has 2 children then they are not adding to the population as when they die they would be leaving two offsprings who would replace them.

Friends, share your thoughts on this issue.

Tanvi

In a way, you're right. But the possible solutions you have given is restricted to service class people. What about the business class? They have enough money to fill the mouths of police officers and concerned authorities.

I am not opposing your views, but the thing is, are people willing to adopt policy of two people?
    What you said two siblings are essential for company is absolutely right from psychological point of view.

But people are not ready to come out of male and female biasness. Two girls are not acceptable at all. But two boys do.

And if you think, somewhere or the other, class difference is one of the many side-effects of increasing population.

Plz guys share your views, it's a national issue.

Ritu

I very relevant topic, i'd say. Although i dont know whether i m eligible to post on this matter as i m unmarried till now... but just want to share my 2 cents..:)

People do not understand the problems they are going to have with more childs... childs are god's gift for many of them... not a creation of their own stupidity...and Tanvi.. for your kind information.. Government is trying to eductae people since last 60 years but still results are nowhere to be seen... remember.."Hum do hamare do" or "bacche, 2 hi acche" campaign....

As far as incentive thing is concerned.. i dont know whether u r aware or not.. but some Incentive scheme is already in place.. which provides ample benefits to those who do not have more then two childs and to those who have have girl childs...including cash rewards.... but we all know the results....

Time is asking to take some harsh measure... even if some people are not happy about it....

@ritu am not so convinced about boys being preffered to girls by parents or this being the only reason for the pathetic sex ratio in our country...it may be true of some isolated places in India but I feel by far we have overcome this to a large extent in the country....there are several other social reasons which makes the nos look so skwed ...in actuality it is the female population of this country slowly being used as a commodity ....the rate at which they are being used as a shelf product concerns me....be it in the form of models, dance artists, nurses, house maids, baby sitters, sex slaves/prostitutes etc....

The figures of females being exported to the Gulf or US and some other countries for these above is mind boggling...it actually makes me ashamed of how we have let down our women folk......what happens to these women out there??? do I need to elaborate?? to control population we need the implementation of the Uniform Civil Code.....as simple.

Rohit

At the outset, I would say that this thread is not about preferring boys over girls. But when you have mentioned this point, then I would like to mention something. You must not be knowing that this gender biasness is not only restricted to isolated places or rural areas, but to the metropolises too.

Most of the doctors have placed the boards of "Bhurn Hatya Paap Hai" in their clinics and hospitals, but there are very few who actually abide by the law. And you must not be knowing that police commissioners, inspectors and sub-inspectors are also involved in this sin. They are bribed by the doctors, who are bribed by the people. So, the immediate authority, doctors and the people; each and every person is bribed. The only difference is, some are bribed by money and some with reasons.

I appreciate your sense of respect towards womenfolk.

Can you plz elaborate on Uniform Civil Code?

yes rohit
    i agree with u....... not only because of population, but to curtail many problems in India... uniform civil code is a must............

you are right ashi. there should be UCC in India..
    Uniform Civil Code originated from the concept of a Civil Law Code. It envisages administering the same set of secular civil laws to govern different people belonging to different religions and regions. This supersedes the right of citizens to subject themselves to different personal laws based on their religion or ethnicity. The common areas covered by a civil code include:

- Personal Status
    - Rights related to acquisition and administration of property
    - Marriage, divorce and adoption

@Friends4u - Thank you for explaining in detail what UCC is all about. i just hope that one fine day.. some gutsy government will emerge and impose UCC in India...

@ ritu...i knw this thread is on population explosion in general nd not on the sex ratio...I only mentioned bout it bcoz of ur statement "But people are not ready to come out of male and female biasness. Two girls are not acceptable at all. But two boys do" nd such conclusions hopefully are not drawn from the skewd ratio....

anyways...looks like there is some kind of consensus on implementation of the UCC....so who will bell the cat??? We had one party ready to do it some 8 yrs back if they were to be voted into absolute power...(their coilation partners feared loss of minority vote bank nd would not allow them)...so identify their policies and choose them...

@ Rohit - No consensus on choosing that party boss.......... people hate that party as it is the only communal party in India........ ha ha ha

anyways I feel the time now has passed when UCC could have been applied...9 yrs down the line things have gotten worse....UCC today will not be an effective tool...anyways it would be better than what we have today to atleast start off with....it will require more appending than in its current form given the situation today..

Our Govt. is leaving no possibilities to benefit this country. The application of UCC is not possible beacuse people themselves have created so much differences in the name of caste and religion.

For the proper regulation of law, we need responsible citizens and pain-staking govt both. Sorry to say but we dont have any. Few people cannot change the rigid thinking of people. Political leaders are elected and voted by citizens only. Bribed? No, the problem is nobody thinks on the society level or national level, but always on the individual level.

Unless and until people wont stand for their rights and country, no one else would do for their cause. Whether it's UCC or any other law, it will be successfully implemented when people will follow it.

if we can stay positve irrespective of our nos today and ensure we work hard to educate d masses and elect the right ppl then am sure we can bring in a change.....I knw it is frustrating to see so many ppl make a mockery of the law in front of ur own eyes....atleast let us all set examples amongst our circles...dnt be a product of ur environment but let the environment be a product of u...we have been posting on this forum for so many days now...I feel it is time to take a step forward and do something more positive than just come and post our comments here.....who all is game to partcipate for the betterment of the nation??

Truly said Rohit. Education is usually taken as the bright light in the dark world of ignorance. But what you can do, when the world is full of functional illiterates.

Recently I joined a group of engineers and doctors on a trip and I was shattered to see that after being educated, people are sick to the core. Still people believe in casteism and religion. When our young generation thinks in this manner, how we expect to bring a change?

Yes you are true. Our young generation also think in this manner. Being educated persons they are doing such things which affect our country's unity. Because of this casteism and religion our country faces so many problems. I think no one can change one's mind. People should understand this things then only there will be change..

Seeing the rising mound of problems in the country, I think even one child is not required now.

One child policy?

This is unthinkable. Muslim and Christian minority groups will have your throat.

Besides, people of educated and intelligent stock should be encouraged to have more children. It's good for the nation, people and quality of progeny.

hi to every one

im new to this forum

in my point of view single child policy is compulsory.

now in India our population officially is 1.18b {http://www.indiastat.com/default.aspx} what about unofficial [i think we can add 0.02 b] means total 1.2 b but our population in 1947 was .35b means our population is more than triple in over 60 years.

Do you how much energy we required for all these people. Think about the greenhouse gases, enviornmental problems and etc

single child policy has to come to every individual not by government or any other things.

I have a idea that if we promise on the wedding day that we will have only one child in our future and like marriage certificate we can made a certificate about one child policy cdrtificate and signed by both bride and bridegroom.

Kiran

It seems very similar all over the world. I found people like to have several even many children.The growing population add great pressure on people's life and the society's load.So much uneducated population make mankind's progress improve slowly.It's time for us to think about it.

+ Post New Topic + Post Reply

Recent Posts in About Homeland
   Most Popular Posts at Sukh Dukh

AddThis Feed Button RSS Feed