+Post New Topic + Post Reply

Thread: How to make my son get interested in studies

My son is 11 years old and he read 6th standard in JD Tytler School. He is not interested in his studies at all and wants to play all the time and non stoped wathcing TV.

Also he is very slow in writing. Maybe he is not concentrating in the class. Always he is the last person to finish in the class.

I am motivating him and speak to him often about this.But he just doesn't seem to understand. How should I make him more interested in studies?

He is unable to understand teachers language and way of teaching.

Plz. help me

Dear Amita! most of the children do the same things what you son is doing. It's a natural habit of kids. You can't teach him in a philosophical manner like "beta consentrate on your study, you have to become a doctor, pilot,etc." May be he couldn't understand it because he doesn't know about these profession. You have to go through just a few simple steps, first of all never scold your child over trifles. Just tell him a few stories of great people. If he like to watch TV, you can tell him that if he will finish his homework on time you will give him his favorite dish, and will watch his favourite program on TV with him. He'll soon learn to write speedily. My own sister was a very slow writer until she passed 10th class. I'll suggest you to become his friend rather than his mother. good luck (Y)

How to make them more interested in Studies... well thats a question many parents ask about teenagers these days..

The problem amita is too many distractions...lot of exposure..

Many times as parents we feel very proud that our kids are much smarter than us and are familiar with so many things/ ideas which we learnt only while in college etc...

Regulate TV time..

Patience.. If your son is not valuing your opinion then ignore him for a while.. Instead of you leacturing him maybe you can talk to one of his friends and that person can help.. Somtimes advice from friends are given more importance..

As he is older there is no way you can control him so I guess just leave it aside and instead of always complaining or worrying look for the root cause.. Is it too much of pressure from school/ parents?

If nothing works try to take him to a counsellor and see if that helps...

cheers

Dear
    I saw the same question before. So the same answer given for that question is copy-pasted here.
    Dear Amita
    Parents are usually fault-finders! They have their own dreams and want to have them fulfilled by their children.
    Take a little time to understand the problems of your child.
    Children get interest in studies only when it is created. Children never show interest in studies unless they understand properly what is taught.
    You says, "he is very slow in writing. Maybe he is not concentrating in the class. Always he is the last person to finish in the class."
    From this statement, it is clear that your child is facing some problems such as deafness or weak eye-sight. Deafness may be because of depositing ear-wax. You have to consult a doctor and have him checked up. Whether it is deafness or weak eye-sight or both made your child a slow leaner.
    And your over ambition is a harassment for your child at home and be a slow-leaner is humiliation at school. This situation makes him rebellious. You see your words " he just doesn't seem to understand."
    Stop your convincing and motivating him, please.
    Now, take the right step! Consult a doctor. You can see changes very soon. Jesus may bless you!
    C.V Cherian M.A ;M.Ed
    [email]cherian.waris@gmail.com[/email]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Don't worry about tomorrow, tomorrow will have its own worries.

i believe your kid is outsmarting you.
    Do you really love him ?Do you really understand How to show your love and affection towards your kids. Are you not in competition with some of your friends,relatives and companions to show that your kid also is worth discussing.
    Self realisation and self learning is the key to the problem.Try to become closest friend to your son.And it is done.Listen to him,Talk to him.Share with him,Consider him,Bother for him,Get love from him,Get help from him,Give value to him and so on.Introduce many many positive acts of good parenting and its done.

dear amita never worried be his friend try to understand root cause and try to remove yourself,certainly he will improve .do one thing you must go and see movie "Gajni"please go and must see today Gajani.you will know whats the problem with the son
    all the best

So how was "Gajani".Narrate in the language of your Smart Son.
    Waiting for your response.

Take him to a psychologist. He may have ADHD and needs all the support he can get.

Hello,

It's a very common problem. TV is the main deterrent. Cut your TV connection, if possible.
    Solution :
    1) His school environment and you might be adding to his problems.
    2)Think, not everyone is meant to be a topper, his strength must lie somewhere else.
    You see, even Indian Govt. is now hell-bent on changing the teaching - learning practice. May be that would help him.
    Above all, the child might be going through a very serious problem that you would have failed to identify.

Actually writing Sessions at home would help him a lot. (Buy him a black-board at home and show him the right strokes on board and on paper too -- any improvement in his writing would surprise him even ).

Forget to stress your brain. We can not master everything in this world.
    Take him to "concentration psychologist" & follow.
    justdial.com or 011-69999999 may be helpful

+ Post New Topic + Post Reply

Recent Posts in Parenting Teenager
   Most Popular Posts at Sukh Dukh

AddThis Feed Button RSS Feed