+Post New Topic + Post Reply

Thread: Gujarati Name for Buckwheat

Hi There!

I'm interested in Gluten Free flours and I understand that Buckwheat Flour is gluten free. I live in England and was wondering if the local Indian shops sell it. Would anyone know what the Indian name or preferably the Gujarati name for buckwheat is?

Many thanks for your attention.

hi Hawkeye!

it's called Kutti no daro! u can find it almost everywhere in India. it is popular as kuttu ka atta.

Thanks Simontini!

I have since discovered that buckwheat flour is available at my local supermarket Tescos. However it's still interesting about the gujarati name because I asked my mother and she hasn't heard of it. Mind you she left India when she was quite young. Or maybe it wasn't that popular in the Bombay region where she grew up.

Anyway, I'll now know what to ask for when I go to the Indian shops. So many thanks again.

it was very nice of Simontini to give such important information. Because ladies like us who settle abroad are ignorant about our traditions and cooking which is good for health in this junk food world. Good wrk keep it up.

Hiya

I is also called as Rajgira in some part of the country, especialy in maharashtra.

Regards
    ;-)

its SINGODA

in some place it also called Ara-rot ka aata.
    In India some places poeple use to as starch to Cotton Kurta (cloth). If u see indian neta (minister) having white Kurta with starch, those are due to Ara-rot ka aata. in old days film poster used to paste on walls with this flour

Dear all i think u all are highly confused...for your information Kuttu, Rajgira and Arra rot are all three diffrent types of aata they are not same.... :-P ;-)

hii everybody

I indeed exhausted to find out what really buckwheat in india means. I have been doing modern agriculture. I have 200 colonies of honey bees of italian melifera. I find them great liking for clover, mustard. coriander and sunflower, but i have not been able to give them buckwheat nector... i dont know why there is confusion on name in india while in russia it is grown in five million acres. in US it is one on the top menu of honey bees...

please help me and tell what buck wheat means and where do i buy the seeds..

prakash

buckwheat should avoided in ur diet if u r b+ bloodgroup..a particuler lectin hinders weight loss. so i too am finding an indian name.in various culture be it marathi, gujrathi or hindi...

Hello There!
    Gujarati for buckwheat is NOT SINGORA & NOT SINGODA. SINGODA occurs as floating vine in the pond. RAJAGRA IS the word for buckwheat i am 99% sure as you can make puri or roti out of it during fast. Rajagra na bhajiya or pakora i never tasted however Rajagra na ladu or laddu is certainly a recepie. This is i am sure about growing up as a brahmin.

Smile can u plz any body wats d exact word in HINDI..... n its usefull for mob raditions

[QUOTE=Guest;41852]hii everybody

I indeed exhausted to find out what really buckwheat in india means. I have been doing modern agriculture. I have 200 colonies of honey bees of italian melifera. I find them great liking for clover, mustard. coriander and sunflower, but i have not been able to give them buckwheat nector... i dont know why there is confusion on name in india while in russia it is grown in five million acres. in US it is one on the top menu of honey bees...

Buckwheat is highly nutritious food and in India it is mainly used during religious fast. Actually Hindu’s during fasting are not allowed to eat cereals but they can eat pakoras, pooris and samosa made with buckwheat/ guttu ka atta as it is non grain. Even people who want to lose weight try this atta in their regular diet.

Its not that easy to get Gluten Free flours in India. Yes, somewhere, some stores will pack these for sale. In other parts, it isn't that freely available. I am also like how Hawkeye Pierce is feeling. Yes, I am an Indian and Gujarati, but don't have that much connection with old, traditional names. Sorry, Hawkeye Pierce

You may be shock to hear the Gujarati translation version of English Buckwheat word but true it is stated as "kutti-no daro". Famously it is also known as ‘kutto’ in other Indian languages apart from Gujarati. This tantalizing recipe is prepared in different methods. Beautiful as it lay with varied toppings the Buckwheat is considered to be very nutritious. It is prepared by the Gujarati on the fasting days.

+ Post New Topic + Post Reply

Recent Posts in Food & Drinks
   Most Popular Posts at Sukh Dukh